About the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and Purchase Request Service at Pikes Peak Library District (PPLD)
- What is Request It?
- What happens to my request after it is submitted through Request It?
- How many items can I request?
- Who can request materials through Request It?
- Why didn't the library purchase the item I requested?
- Can I decide whether the Library purchases or borrow my request?
- Will my requested items appear on my PPLD library account?
- Why am I having trouble logging into my Request It account?
- How do I request an item not found in the PPLD Catalog?
- How do I place a request via the WorldCat database?
- How do I place a request if I can't find the item in WorldCat?
- What items can be requested/considered for purchase?
- WorldCat says PPLD owns an item, but I can't find it in the Catalog?
- How long will my request take?
- Does the Library attempt to borrow new items within the current year?
- What do the Request It status messages mean?
- How much does Interlibrary Loan cost?
- What items cannot be borrowed through ILL or are difficult to obtain?
- What might delay an Interlibrary Loan?
- Will there be restrictions ILL materials requested?
- What happens when my requested material arrives?
- How long is the loan period for requested materials?
- Can I renew my Interlibrary Loan material?
- What are my responsibilities once I have received an Interlibrary Loan?
- My Interlibrary Loan is lost or damaged. What happens now?
- How do I contact the Interlibrary Loan office for assistance?
What is Request It?
Request It is a one stop shop for requesting items that are not in Pikes Peak Library District’s catalog. Interlibrary Loan and Purchase Requests are now part of Request It.
What happens to my request after it is submitted through Request It?After your request is submitted through WorldCat, the Library will decide whether to purchase the item and place you on hold for it or place an Interlibrary Loan request. Either way you will be notified of how the Library has proceeded to fill your request.
How many items can I request?You can have 6 active requests at one time. This number includes ILL items that you have checked out and ILL/purchase requests in processing.
Who can request materials through Request It?PPLD library card holders in good standing who are residents of Pikes Peak Library District (generally PPLD resident cards starting with ‘4’). Non-residents with either Colorado Library Cards (CLC cards are PPLD cards starting with ‘7’) or Visitor Cards must place their requests with their home library where they reside.
Why didn't the Library purchase the item I requested?We are unable to purchase every title that is requested. Take a look at our Collection Development Policy for selection guidelines.
Can I decide whether the Library purchases or borrows my request?PPLD reserves the right to determine the best way to fill your request, while still delivering the item to you in as timely a manner as possible.
Will my requested items appear on my PPLD library account?
PLEASE NOTE: Your Request It account is a separate account from your PPLD library account. Please log on to your Request It account to check on your items. Items borrowed through ILL will only appear in your Request It account; items we purchase will show a hold for that item on your PPLD library account after ordering.
Why am I having trouble logging into my Request It account?It may be due to one of the following reasons:
How do I request an item not found in the Catalog?
Before you make a request, please check PPLD’s Catalog to make sure that the material you need is not already available in PPLD’s collection. Library staff are available in person at any PPLD Community Library and at 719-389-8968 to assist you.
If your desired material is not available in the PPLD collection, please search WorldCat to find items to request. WorldCat is an online catalog of the materials in more than 10,000 libraries. Submitting a request through WorldCat ensures that the Request It staff receives your accurate and complete request information.
How do I place a request via the WorldCat database?To place a request via the WorldCat database:
- Check the Catalog to make sure PPLD does not already own the title.
- Go to WorldCat.
- Then search the WorldCat database for your item.
- Next, select the entry for the item and then click on Request Item.
- This will open up the Request It Logon page in another window. You will then need to enter your PPLD library card number and PIN.
- To set up your Request It account, you will to need to fill out the Personal Information page. If you already have an ILL account (now called Request it account), please skip to Step 8.
- After you have clicked on the Submit Information button at the bottom of the Personal Information page, return to your original WorldCat window and click on Request Item again to submit your request.
- Once you have clicked on Request Item, it will fill out your request automatically with the item's title, author, etc.
- You will also need to enter the maximum amount that you are willing pay as well as the format type of the item; book, DVD, etc.
- Finally, click on the Submit Request button to place your request.
- If you want to submit another request, please return to your original WorldCat window to select another item.
How do I place a request if I can't find the item in WorldCat?
Sign in to your Request It account and fill out an Item, Article, or Microfilm request form.